Saturday, February 16, 2013

Bah Humbug... well, not entirely

     So I told people this week that I don't believe in Valentine's Day.  The horror that crossed their faces was priceless.  I have nothing against a good dinner, flowers, candy or jewelry.  I just don't think that anyone should feel forced to do that in the name of love because it's Feb 14.  If J goes to the grocery store one night and comes home with some $10 flowers that means 100 times more to me than if he dropped $100 on roses because I'll get mad if he doesn't.  I think that it is very important to show your person that you love them, but every day, not just Feb 14.  Gestures don't have to be grand.  J shows me that he loves me by taking the girls to school so I can get to sleep earlier or by having my  fake coffee ready when I get up.  I am supposed to stay off the caffeine and so he has to make mine special.
     It's funny though to try to not show the girls that I am a "scrooge" about Valentine's when it is still so fun to them.  They love the cards and the candy and picking out which ones they are going to give to which kid in their classes.  I have a few years left before I have to explain my views on it to them.  Hopefully before some boy breaks a heart because he didn't get her something.
     The funny thing is though, this was probably the best Valentine's day I have had in a while.  J picked the girls up from school and let me sleep till 4pm (I didn't get home until 9:30 that morning).  He cooked me breakfast/dinner when I got up.  He fed the girls.  He sent me a sweet E-card and we hung out and together and listened to music.  I actually sent him a card that I made on my cool little Ink app, but I sent it to his folk's house because I though he was going to be there.  So hopefully his mom enjoys the card.  It is a pic of us from the VT football game, so maybe....
     Love is important to me.  I try to show my friends, family and J just how much they mean to me every chance I get.  I want to feel loved, but I don't want any one's feelings hurt because someone said that if you don't get A, B & C on Feb 14 then you aren't loved.  My friend's are the awesomest people I know.  That's why they are my friends.  That and because they'll put up with me...  Happy Feb 17th all.  If  you are reading this, you are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment